Did you know dryer sheets are EXTREMELY toxic? Those perfume-laden (even the fragrance-free) sheets and liquid are full of toxic chemicals. Chemicals that infiltrate the clothes we wear, which in turn gets on our skin and absorbed into our body. ICK!
So here’s the real deal – don’t pick up a box of dryer sheets or fabric softener and expect to see a list of ingredients like you would a box of cereal. You won’t find them on there because there are no laws in place which require the manufacturers of these products, to list all the chemicals used. Often times what you will see listed, is something along the lines of, “biodegradable cationic softeners”. These so-called softeners that make our clothes fluffy and static-free, are toxic chemicals which build up in our body and over time can wreak havoc on our nervous system.
The 7 most common ingredients you will find listed on dyer sheet boxes:
1. Alpha-Terpineol – This can cause central nervous system disorders. It can also cause loss of muscular coordination, central nervous system depression, and headache.
2. Benzyl Alcohol – This can cause central nervous system disorders, headaches, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, central nervous system depression, and, in severe cases, death.
3. Camphor – This is on the US EPA’s Hazardous Waste list. Central nervous system stimulant, causes dizziness, confusion, nausea, twitching muscles, and convulsions.
4. Chloroform – This is also on the EPA’s Hazardous Waste list. Neurotoxic and carcinogenic.
5. Ethyl Acetate – Again, on the EPA’s Hazardous Waste list. Narcotic. May cause headaches and narcosis (stupor).
6. Linalool – This can cause central nervous system disorders. Narcotic. In studies of animals, it caused ataxic gait (loss of muscular coordination), reduced spontaneous motor activity, and depression.
7. Pentane – This can cause headaches, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, drowsiness, and loss of consciousness. Repeated inhalation of vapors can cause central nervous system depression.
Yikes!!! Right?! Well I am here to tell you that there is a way out!
We ditched our dryer sheets a while back for these handmade organic wool balls. They not only make our clothes snuggly soft, they reduce the static away AND cut back our drying time by 10-15 minutes! BONUS – just a few drops of your favorite oils on each ball to make them (and your laundry) smell AMAZE-BALLS. <— see what I did there?! Best of all, NO TOXIC CHEMICALS.
WHAT YOU NEED –
- 3-6 wool dryer balls (I purchased mine HERE)
- 2-3 drops of your favorite essential oil(s) to each dryer ball
We use anywhere from 3-6 balls in each load, depending on the load size. We have only been using these for a few months now but I have read that people have used the same dryers balls for over 2 years!