My husband and I have recently discovered a new-found-love for tomato-basil pizzas! We have a local place here that makes delicious brick-oven pizzas and we have to get the tomato-basil pizza at least once a week!This got me thinking “I bet I could do some sort of tomato-basil quesadilla, to change it up a little”! We are a fairly “clean” eating family so we make sure to choose simple and healthy recipes/ingredients as often as possible. I really enjoy tweaking other recipes to make them a bit healthier, also!
WHAT YOU NEED –
- 6 small tortillas (we used whole grain — that is completely a personal preference)
- 1/2 cup fresh spinach leaves
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
- 2 roma tomatoes (slice very thinly)
- *1/2 cup fresh mushrooms (slice very thinly)
- *salt & pepper
- Heat pan on medium heat and spray with non-stick spray. (you don’t want the heat too high because I found that the tortilla burns before everything gets hot on the inside)
- Layer mozzarella, basil & spinach leaves (I was able to do about 4-5 spinach leaves and 3-4 basil leaves), tomatoes, mushrooms and another layer of cheese so it will help bind it all together once it melts. You can sprinkle with salt & pepper if you want at this point. Place the other tortilla on top.
- Let it cook on first side for about 6-7 minutes or until you see that the cheese is melting inside.
- Flip over carefully and let cook on other side for another 5-6 minutes.
I hope you love this delicious, healthy, and simple recipe as much as we do! I would love to hear if you tried it and what you think!