Whenever I was searching for Instant Pot recipes I found TONS of recipes about using a whole chicken, but I didn’t find any that included veggies cooked with the chicken. So I decided to wing this and it turned out so good!
Here is my recipe! It was moist and fell right off the bone! I hope you enjoy it as much as we did!
Instant Pot – Whole Chicken and Veggies
1 Whole Chicken (2-4 pounds)
2 TBSP coconut oil
1 TBSP minced garlic
Spices (we use salt, pepper, rosemary, garlic powder, and thyme, I do not measure these I just shake them over the chicken and veggies as needed).
1 1/2 cups chicken broth (or bullion cubes and water)
2 TBSP lemon juice
3-4 stalks of celery
2-3 large red potatoes
5-6 large carrots
Optional: (1 onion)
- Set Instant Pot on “Sauté” Mode. Add coconut oil.
- Season the chicken however you would like on both sides.
- Once coconut oil is hot add chicken breast side down and sauté for 5-6 minutes to crisp up the skin.
- While the chicken is crisping, cut up your veggies into larger than bite sized pieces.
- Turn off Instant Pot and flip chicken over (the easiest way to do this is to stab it with a fork and then quickly flip it. Last time I tried to use tongs and I nearly dropped the chicken on the floor).
- Add minced garlic on top or inside of the chicken.
- Add chicken broth and lemon juice into Instant Pot.
- Arrange veggies around the top of the Chicken (we do ours in sections). Make sure your veggies do not exceed the “Max” line on the Instant Pot.
- Add more spices to the top of the veggies to give them extra flavor.
- Put lid on Instant Pot (make sure the vent is on “sealing”).
- Click the “Manual” button and cook the chicken on high pressure for 25 minutes.
- Once chicken beeps, allow to sit for 5 minutes in the “Keep Warm” mode, and then carefully remove the lid (pointing it away from you).
- Remove chicken and it cut up on another plate so that you can get the veggies out with a slotted spoon, serve and enjoy!
Thank you so much for checking out my new recipe! I would love to hear how you liked it and if you modified it in any way in the comments below!