Tonight I decided to create something new in my brand new Instant Pot (Thank you Amazon Prime Day)!! I love experimenting with new recipes that I think my family will love, and this one was a win!
All three of our kiddos devoured this dinner and I couldn’t wait to share!
White Chicken Chili has always been one of my family’s favorites. I’ve made it for countless birthday parties, hundreds of snowy days, and nearly once a week in the fall when that Wyoming weather has us craving hot stuff! Usually when I make this chili, I make it in the crockpot with this recipe: Crockpot White Chicken Chili.
It’s no secret that I’ve always been addicted to my crockpot! Being able to dump a bunch of ingredients in a pot, turn it on and walk away while it cooks BY ITSELF all day, is pretty amazing. The only thing negative about the crockpot is that it does require planning! Planning is something that often slips this mom of three’s mind! Usually about 2 hours before dinner time I remember that we were going to use the crockpot for dinner.. and then we end up having cereal instead!
Flash forward to me buying my Instant Pot and I have a new addiction! All day planning is a thing of the past in this house!
I’ve had my Instant Pot for THREE days….and I’ve cooked in it everyday single day since it arrived! I made an amazing whole chicken, shredded chicken (this recipe will be coming to the blog SOON too) and then tonight I decided to step out of the box and make up my own recipe for one of our favorites!!! Here’s a few reasons why YOU need an Instant Pot:
- It’s like a crockpot, but WAY FASTER.
- You can sauté stuff without dirtying multiple pans!
- It’s really, really easy to use!
- You can do so much with it!
This recipe made SO much chili! We are a family of 5 and we still have enough leftovers for another night’s dinner! Here you go:
Instant Pot White Chicken Chili
2 TBSP coconut oil
1 TBSP minced garlic
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. onion Powder
1 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. chili powder
(OR SKIP ALL OF THOSE SPICES AND DO 1 TBSP OF TACO SEASONING)
4-5 boneless skinless chicken breast (These can be FROZEN or thawed)
2- 15.5 oz cans great northern beans
1- 15.5oz can hominy
1-15.5 oz can diced tomatoes
1- 12 oz package frozen corn
6 cups chicken bullion
Optional additions: Taco cheese (or any cheese you have on hand) avocado, tortilla chips, sour cream
- Turn Instant Pot on “sauté” mode, add coconut oil, and allow to heat up.
- Dice onions, add to Instant Pot, and stir until they are transparent.
- Add minced garlic and spices and stir.
- Turn off Instant Pot.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the pot. You do not have to drain the beans or tomatoes!
- Put lid on instant pot and close. Make sure that the vent is closed!
- Push the “soup” button and adjust the time down to 10 minutes (thawed chicken breasts) or 15 minutes (frozen).
- After the chili is done, let sit for at least 5 minutes before manually releasing the steam.
- Open CAREFULLY when the pin drops!
- Remove the chicken breasts and shred them with two forks (or your kitchen mixer if you are fancy)!
- Add the chicken back in, stir, serve, and then add any optional additions that you would like!
This is my first Instant Pot recipe so after you make it, I would love to hear what you thought about it!
Feel free to leave us a comment below and share this with your friends!!