As a woman… and a mom, I’ve learned that you can NEVER, EVER, EVER have too much chapstick!! I usually start out having at least 10 in my purse, on my counter, and in my car and a few weeks later I cannot find ANY!!!
My kids are horrible about stealing my favorite chapsticks, rolling them all the way up, and then putting the lid on…..ruined instantly!!!
Also, when I use some store bought chap sticks, I often find myself having to apply it over and over and my lips still get chapped—how does that happen???
I really wanted to try to make my own chapstick, but every recipe I was coming across had SO many ingredients and SO many steps (Double broiler?? I don’t even know what that is)!! I am all about easy and quick—because in reality, I don’t have time to spend hours doing DIYs in order to save a little bit of money or be a little healthier… I need quick and easy!!!
And this recipe is just that—-quick, easy, saves me money AND makes me feel like I am doing something awesome for my family!!
TWO STEP CHAPSTICK
WHAT YOU NEED:
- 3 TBSP Beeswax (I got mine HERE)
- 5 TBSP Coconut Oil (I got mine HERE)
- 10-15 drops of your favorite Young Living Essential Oils (I used Lavender and Peppermint for my first batch–YUM)
- Empty Chapstick Tubes (I got mine HERE)
- A medicine dropper or syringe
1. Measure out the Beeswax and Coconut Oil and microwave on HIGH for 2-4 minutes (depending on how your microwave heats). Check the bowl frequently and stir.
**The beeswax does take longer to melt than the coconut oil—just keep stirring and heating until it’s all liquid
2. Add 10-15 drops of your favorite Young Living Essential Oils and use the medicine dropper to fill the chap stick tubes.
**Try and do this step quickly, because the chapstick does harden fairly quickly. The first time I made this recipe I got 18 tubes—but could have had more if I was faster!
HELPFUL HINTS AND VARIATIONS:
- When I made this recipe for the first time, I added my oils into all of the beeswax and coconut mixture—this gave me 18 tubes of the same flavor. A great idea to get a bunch of different flavors out of the same “batch” is to melt the ingredients and then separate them into different bowls. Add your oils to the FIRST bowl and then fill all the chapsticks. Then re-heat the next bowl, add different oils, and then fill more tubes. **You do not want to heat the essential oils in the microwave because they can loose their awesome properties.
- Other awesome Young Living oil combinations: Thieves, Teatree, Stressaway, Lemon/Peppermint, Orange/Peppermint, Lemongrass/Peppermint. **Some citrus oils can cause the skin and lips to be more sensitive to sunlight. Use caution with citrus blends if you are outside
- Melt a small chunk of old lipstick into the beeswax and coconut oil to add a tint!!!
- To decorate my chapstick tubes, I used a little strip of washi tape. You can also use cute monogram stickers to customize them for all your friends!
Please let me know in the comments section if you have any questions and what you thought of this recipe!! 🙂 I would love to hear your favorite oil combinations and how you decorated your tubes!!!
Also, if you have any questions about Young Living or how to order, please feel free to send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
I would LOVE to answer all of your questions and help spread my love for these oils <3