I’ve been wanting to write this blog post since I first made this recipe in April 🙂 I was having a “mom’s coffee” at my house with all my friends and their kiddos, and my husband was putting in our new front door with his buddy. I wanted something that I could make the night before, feed everyone easily, and then pop in the oven in the morning when I took my oldest daughter to school.
***One thing you will learn about me from this blog is…..I am not a morning person!!!***
It turned out to be a HUGE hit, everyone (including all the kiddos) cleaned their plates and wanted seconds!! This was really awesome to see, since I was truly just experimenting and wanting to find a way to incorporate my orange oil into cooking! Also, my husband—who does NOT like sweets–has been asking for this breakfast ever since, so I decided I better share! I know this recipe isn’t healthy 🙂 But we all need a little treat in our lives!
Here’s what you need—I know it looks like a lot of ingredients, but the end result is SO worth it 🙂
Blackberry-Orange Sticky Rolls
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 2 1/4 TSP active dry yeast (one package)
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg + 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (one stick)
- 1/2 cup milk (I used whole milk)
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 4+ cups of all purpose flour
- In a mixer, or large bowl–whisk together warm water, yeast, sugar, eggs and egg yolk until combined.
- Melt butter and warm milk in microwave–remove once butter is melted.
- Add butter/milk mixture, salt, and 2 cups of flour to your mixer. Mix until well combined.
- Slowly add the last two cups of flour. The dough should be soft and no longer sticky. If it is still sticky add more flour. (I usually end up adding at least another cup of flour at this time).
- Place the ball of dough into a large oiled bowl and cover for about an hour and a half, or until the dough has doubled in size.
After about an hour of the dough rising, you are going to want to prepare your baking dish and make your filling. At this time, I also take the Blackberries out of the freezer so they can “melt” a little bit and give me some juices. It makes the filling EXTRA yummy 🙂
- 8 ounces of cream cheese (softened)
- 1 bag frozen blackberries (12 oz)
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 5-10 drops Young Living Orange Essential Oil (taste as you add and stir for desired orange flavor)–I use 8.
- Soften your cream cheese in the microwave for a few seconds.
- Remove and add 5-10 drops of Young Living Orange Oil to the cream cheese. Stir and taste after each drop. Add as many drops as you would like to get the orange taste you are aiming for (I add 8 drops). Set aside–do not mix with the blackberries.
- Toss frozen blackberries in brown sugar, corn starch, and cinnamon mixture.
Preparing the Rolls:
- Once dough has doubled in size (about 1.5 hours): Remove dough from bowl and transfer to a floured surface. Roll or spread the dough out “hotdog style”(which is short sides and long front and back–see the picture below). I did not even have to use a roller for this dough! It’s so easy to work with–just add a little extra flour if it’s sticky anywhere. Spread it out evenly, not too thin, and not too thick 🙂 You want it thin enough so they aren’t doughy, but not too thin that it rips. **If you have any holes, simply take some dough from the ends and fill them in–this is an awesome job for kids!
- Spread the cream cheese/orange mixture onto the dough. Make sure you cover the entire sheet of dough so all of your rolls are filled–all the way to the edges!! It will be a thin layer.
- Sprinkle the blackberry mixture onto the cream cheese. Again make sure you get blackberries and juice to the edges.
- Roll the dough again “hot dog style” and then cut into even pieces (I use a serrated knife–but unwaxed dental floss works awesome as well).
- Place rolls touching into a greased 9×13 pan. **They will NOT be pretty at this point**
- Cover with plastic wrap, let rise another 1 1/2 hours.
***At this point you can either cook your rolls right away or skip letting them rise and throw them into the fridge to cook the next morning (This is what I do and they always turn out PERFECT)****
- Preheat Oven to 350
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden.
- While the rolls are baking, prepare the icing.
- 8 ounces cream cheese (softened)
- 2 TBSP light corn syrup (Optional)
- 2 TBSP milk
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 pinch salt
Add all ingredients into a bowl and stir until well mixed.
🙂 Remove from oven, cool for 10 minutes and then pour on the icing. Eat and ENJOY!!!
I hope you all enjoyed this recipe!! If you have any questions or would like to share how this recipe turned out for you, please leave us a comment!! 🙂 This was my FIRST time ever writing out a recipe, so I hope it was easy for you to follow!!